About Me

My photo
Spirit of the woods

Monday, July 1, 2013

British Museum - a time travel around the world

From the tube station of Russel Square (to which Arnab kept on saying, "Russel Street, yes, that was where I had to get down to go to Dad's office in Calcutta") we walked over across a park to go to the British Museum. We spent like a couple hours (again, a grave injustice to the exhibits) and the thing that came to my mind after the tour was that I traveled around the world, that too in a time machine. You would understand from the collection why it was once said that the Sun never sets in the British Empire, and they made great use of that. The place is a treasure trove!


What can I say about the collection? A blog article is not the right place for this task. Egyptian galleries always impress me. Here too were an assortment of mummies, even mummified cats (creepy!), Egyptian sandals, etc. Then there were Greek vases, Helen's golden belt (very pretty), a part of Parthenon with the marble columns all picked up and placed here. Then another impressive thing was one statue brought from the Easter Islands (dragged and dropped, again). The African gallery was nice too. Then here and there were the very famous chess pieces of which I have forgotten the details now, Arnab saw them on TV a while back and was exclaiming - "yeah, we saw them!" There were coins minted in Calcutta, a model of probably Ben Hur's chariot. I very much liked an automated model of a ship. It was nice to see the handiwork of some of my ancient colleagues, all proficient in automation :)

The best one thing was the Enlightenment room. That has a collection of things from the Renaissance and as always these kind of stuff impress me. Knowledge...Wisdom...the sole thing that makes us superior to all other creatures and which guides our own thoughts, words, behavior and actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment