About Me

My photo
Spirit of the woods

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Edward VIII's Windsor

Waterloo station
Before I talk about Windsor, I must say about Waterloo station. We went there to get on our train to Windsor. Good for us, now big signs display which train is going where, so we didn't have to end op like Jerome and Harris running from one platform to the other. The only thing is, if the man at the ticket counter specifically asked us if we are going to Windsor or to Windsor castle, that would have solved the hassle of coming back to the counter for a refund. Thankfully we had a very helpful lady who made us get the refund. The train tracks and everything beyond it reminded me of a local train ride from Howrah station. If we can call Vauxhall as Liluah it would be exactly the same! We got glimpses of Thames all along the ride.

Windsor castle was amazing! The British Royal family always interests me and here I could actually feel it. The ambiance of this castle doesn't seem to have changed and everything here dates back to the 1600s quite easily. The knights of the garter, Charles I and II (remember the Musgrave Ritual?) and Henry VIII's stories are so extremely intriguing. Those carved walls, frescoed ceilings and gilded frames are all parts of a time travel. I liked the story of the knights a lot so I bought a stained glass sun catcher with the shield of St. George (patron saint of England) for myself.
Traditional tea
At the station we had traditional afternoon tea with crumpets and Devonshire clotted cream!



No comments:

Post a Comment