About Me

My photo
Spirit of the woods

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hampton Court and following the foot steps of some of my favorite people


Another train ride from Waterloo took us to Hampton Court palace. This was Henry VIII's old stomping ground. I personally don't like the person Henry VIII was but I liked a tour of his palace. The kitchen was very impressive, big chunks of meat were grilled is humongous ovens like what Robin Hood's story mentions. With it big loaves of bread and barrels of wine. Walking down the dark rooms where those barrels are still kept, it would not be much of a surprise if any person from the time of Henry VIII pops out. I also got to wear a robe and talk to Queen Catherine's lady in waiting. But after a while I got tired of the stories of politics and constant bickering and execution for the eternal struggle for power. Then we went to the maze.


That was the one where Harris got lost but we did much better than that and came out in like twenty minutes. Harris' cousin should come with us the next time he plans to go there! The maze, even though famous really looked tiny and cramped compared to our local corn maze at Bob's Farm where we go every fall :P

We also went to the rose garden. I have never seen just a rose garden
before and as I love roses, this garden is something I will always remember. It was just filled with a sweet scent, I mean of course, what else can you expect in a rose garden? But I just loved it! I think they had something similar in Manderley that Mrs. de Winter wrote about in Rebecca.

A trip down Thames was a much needed part of our visit to London. We took a boat down to Kingston almost like what Jerome, Harris and Montmorency did in the 1890s. The same Thames, towns and places that Jerome talked about, even the swans are still there. We saw flocks of them swimming, must be descendants of those ones which tried to drown Harris and Montmorency!

My old friends





No comments:

Post a Comment